There are 5 main categories of hashtags to help you optimize your content:
- Location - adding a geo-tag or a hashtag of your location is a good idea to connect with people in your local area. (#London, #exploreBC)
- Branded - using a branded hashtag allows you to interact with your favorite brands and show your support. (#AbsolutVodka, #GotMilk, #NikeByYou)
- Industry - industry hashtags are great for learning more about a specific topic and connecting with others in a certain industry. (#MakeupLovers, #cars)
- Community - there are many communities on social media platforms and using community hashtags help you find and be a part of them. (#arianators, #lakersnation)
- Descriptive - these hashtags allow you to be more specific in the topic you are interested in learning about. (#eyeshadow, #homedecor)
Having a variety of hashtags from all five categories gives you a well-rounded hashtag strategy that can connect with many different communities and users on social media platforms.